Friday, October 10, 2008

My Own Cry for Help

Usually I use this space to offer help for people problems you folks face. Today I'm going to ask you for help--actually beg you for help.

For the last month, I have been dealing with three individuals who won't make decisions. They are driving me nuts! They know they need X, they say they need X, they can afford to get X, but they keep debating in their heads over whether to get X.

Not only that, they can do anything and everything. Just ask them. Do they do anything and everything well? Not the point. From their point of view, they can do whatever needs to be done.

Except give birth. (These 3 are all guys--got 'em on that one!)

Blinding Flash of Insight

One morning this week I woke up with a Blinding Flash of Insight-BFI as one presenter called it. These guys are all the same personality type.

With two of them, I know their Myers Briggs type--they've told me. The other one, I am assuming his type, based on observations and years of experience with type.

They are all the same. People of this personality type have always been tough for me to work with. I like to work with folks who recognize they have a need and will decide to act to address that need.

I've even consulted with psychologists and experts in personality type about how to get these guys to make a decision and move. Usually I've gotten one or two suggestions and a lot of head shaking--as in "I don't know what to do with them."

Can You Help?

The personality type I'm talking about typically is very intelligent, often looking for new ways to do things, and doesn't really need data and facts to make a decision. They often are in leadership positions or the next tier of management. They speak with authority. They often are stubborn. And some of them have been known to annoy people, to put it mildly.

Please share your ideas on how to deal with this type. Post a response to this blog. If you're not comfortable doing that, send me your thoughts at WeKnowEngineers@gmail.com.

I really need your help.

P.S.: The three guys are not members of this online community. So, if you thought I was writing about you, I wasn't. But if the shoe fits . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My first advice is to fire them as clients. There are too many of this type of people in management (not usually leadership but that's what they call it) roles and the rest of us don't need people like you helping to enable their success.

Assuming you are not going to take my first advice I can probably only tell you what you already know. These people make decisions based on what feels right; minimal data or even conflicting data is not an issue for them. The fact that they are stuck means that something does not feel right to all of them. In this situation each will want to do what they think is right but if they don't agree no one gets to do anything. This type are most effective at moving organizations as individuals through the brute force of their own will. To expect two or heaven forbid three of them to agree on a course of action is most likely the real problem.

A possible solution would be to try to get two of them to delegate the decision (something this type is extremely poor at doing) to the third. Hopefully you could facilitate a discussion with them to decide who is the best qualified to make the decision, delegate to that person and move forward. Once empowered that person will probably make the decision before you leave the room.

You could also remind them that the only bad decision is deciding not to make a decision. This usually resonates well with this type as they tend to be action oriented.

Bill Miller, P.E., PMP, CMQ/OE
Greenhorne & O'Mara, Inc

abhinay said...

Article is very interesting !
Thanks for the Information
Regards Education Site